Security analysts were not able to track and report on investigations. This resulted in them using other tools resulting in workflow inefficiencies and slow remediation times. Time is 💰💰 when data is stolen.
The team developed a solution to track investigations with the ability to share their investigation findings and recommendations to human resources and legal.
The product manager and I had conversations with security analysts at various companies to improve our understanding of the problem. The research revealed a major gap in the workflow of the analyst and how our product wasn’t meeting their needs when performing investigations.
When an analyst receives an alert, their journey looks like this.
Pulling the team together, I facilitated thoughtful discussions around the problem and shared the research that outlined key moment in the analysts workflow that our product was not fulfilling. The team was excited to sketch out ideas!
Taking it a step further, the team mapped out an experience using user story mapping.
I led the team in multiple user story mapping sessions and love this activity because:
I reviewed and revised the story map with users and internal subject matter experts. Their feedback during this process was invaluable and helped evolve the vision and solution.
I put together some designs and prototypes in Figma in order to collect feedback from the analysts. These concepts were informed by our research and used ideas from the team brainstorm and user story map.
Figma concept prototypes used to gather feedback from customers. These concepts used our legacy design system.
I tested a couple of different ideas. The one that resonated most with users and their mental model was an approach similar to help desk ticketing software and other security tools with incident reporting capabilities.
The user story map drove our requirements and backlog with a focus on delivering value to our customers as quickly as possible. These decisions were driven in part by the user story map and what was learned from concept testing.
During development, there was a lot of collaboration between myself and the engineers. I spent my time performing QA and supporting the engineering team during the build. I also worked closely with product marketing to deliver assets for the marketing website related to this new feature.
While in early access, the product manager and I met twice a month with customers to gather feedback. I organized the feedback into themes and we used this information to populate our product backlog.
Here are some of the final designs which used our new design system.
If you enjoyed this project, why not check out another!
On-site digital selling experience for sales reps